Most principals and school lunch ladies probably roll their eyes when fingers start wagging and parents start turning up the volume on school lunches. We know it’s a problem. They know it’s a problem. It’s a problem. But it doesn’t have to be!
Ann Cooper is best known as the Renegade Lunch Lady. The changes she has made are simple and effective and they can take place at your kids school. If you’re concerned about the school lunches your children are being fed, take 20 minutes to dig into Ann’s amazing talk on how she literally has changed a community with school lunches.
- We’re seeing sick kids get sicker and sicker. And the reason this is happening – by and large – is because of our food system.
- We, as a nation, have to start thinking about consuming, growing and feeding our children food that’s not chock-full of chemicals. We can’t keep feeding our kids pesticides and herbicides and antibiotics and hormones.
- One of my favorite facts is that U.S. agriculture uses 1.2 billion pounds of pesticides every year. That means every one of us, and our children, consumes what would equal a five-pound bag.
- We now live in a country that has more prisoners than farmers — 2.1 million prisoners, 1.9 million farmers. And we spend 35,000 dollars on average a year keeping a prisoner in prison, and school districts spend 500 dollars a year feeding a child. It’s no wonder, you know, we have criminals. 🙂
- Whoever decided that a chicken should look like a heart, a giraffe, a star? … What’s wrong with teaching kids that chicken looks like chicken? … We really have to teach children that chicken is not a giraffe. You know, that vegetables are actually colorful, that they have flavor, that carrots grow in the ground, that strawberries grow in the ground. There’s not a strawberry tree or a carrot bush.
- We can’t keep serving kids processed crap, full of chemicals, and expect these are going to be healthy citizens. You’re not going to get the next generation, or the generation after, to be able to think like this if they’re not nourished. If they’re eating chemicals all the time, they’re not going to be able to think. They’re not going to be smart. You know what? They’re just going to be sick.